As China continues to advance itself as a global frontrunner in international relations with projects such as the One Belt, One Road, there is also an increasing demand for people who can understand and work with China on a professional level. In 2008 ZJU became the first university in mainland China to grant a Master's Degree in China Studies. Since then the program has been established as the Institute of China Studies due to its success for graduating more than 380 students from 53 different countries as Masters of China Studies.
ICS places great effort in providing high academic courses with professors from various departments that bring with them years of teaching experience both inside and outside of China. China Studies at ZJU is a full-English interdisciplinary program that offers graduate students with different academic background the possibility of individualizing their education on China issues. Students will receive research and practicum experience through internships and field trips provided by the ICS. Lectures and practices combined with intensive mandarin Chinese language courses will equip the students with the necessary tools to engage, experience, and work independently in 21st century China.
Students are expected to work independently, organized and in a disciplined manner to fulfill their commitment as a future expert on China. Thereby demonstrating a reflective and professional mindset that can properly work and study China issues. Upon entry for the Master's at ICS, students are normally required to hold or have achieved the following:
► At minimum a Bachelor degree in China Studies or an equivalent degree that can further be applied through your studies at ICS
► Evidence demonstrating English proficiency (if from a non-English speaking country) otherwise an English test is required.
ZJU provides scholarships to students who fulfill the necessary requirements (can be applied for in addition to the Chinese government scholarship). The scholarship covers the following: tuition waiver, free accommodation on campus, monthly stipend, and medical insurance. To obtain the scholarship applicants are obliged to go through the following procedure:
► Provide a personal statement, no less than a 800 word, introducing your experience and observations of China, what area particularly interest you and why, potential research, and your future career
► An interview to assess your qualifications and commitments for following and finishing your studies at ICS .
How to apply
Complete and submit your online application here:
http://iczu.zju.edu.cn— Admissions — Online Application.
If you need to apply for ZJU scholarship, you can follow the steps here:
Afterwards send your application with supporting documents to the mailing address provided below
Application deadline for admission and the ZJU Scholarship 2017-18: May 20th, 2017
Applicants must fill in and provide the following documents truly, correctly and completely (in duplicates)
1. Application Form for Admission to Zhejiang University, pasted with a recent photograph (white background, 35mm×45mm in size).
Applicants shall fill in and submit the application form via the Student Login first (Online Application System), then print and sign the Application Form produced by the online application system.
2. Application Form for Zhejiang University Scholarship, pasted with a recent photograph. Applicants shall fill in and submit the application form via the Scholarship Applicants Login first (Online Application System), then print and sign.
3. Highest degree certificates, which must be original documents or notarized copies. If applicants are university students, they shall provide an official pre-graduation certificate showing their student status and stating expected graduation date. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized translations in Chinese or English.
4. Academic transcripts, which must be original documents or notarized copies. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized translations in Chinese or English.
5. Photocopies of language (Chinese or English) proficiency certificates. Applicants for Chinese-instructed programs must provide the photocopy of HSK certificate. Applicants for English-instructed programs must provide the certificate of TOEFL or IELTS test score. (Not required for English native speakers)
6. A photocopy of passport.
7. Personal statement, in Chinese or English, should include study and work experience, reasons for application and study proposal.
8. Two letters of recommendation from full professors or associate professors, in Chinese or English. (Professors’ signature, contact phone number and email address must be put on the letter.)
9. Published academic papers or other academic achievements. (If any)
10. Remittance receipt of the application fee (RMB 400 yuan). (Bank account)
*The incomplete application materials will not be processed.
*Application materials will NOT be returned regardless of the result of the application.
718 Haizhou East Road
Zhejiang University International Campus
Haining, Zhejiang, China
Art & Science Building 434,
Institute of China Studies.
Zip code: 314400
About the programs:
Mr. Jiang Ripeng, ICS coordinator.
Institute of China Studies Office
Tel: +86 (0571)87572711
About the admission and scholarship: International College